Two major categories of dungeons exist in Albion Online: Instanced Dungeons or Expeditions and Open World Dungeons.
- Instanced dungeons are only accessible by yourself or your own group, after entering through a gateway or portal. In Albion Online these are called Expeditions.
- Open World Dungeons are in contrast accessible by all players at all times and can be found almost everywhere.
Open World Dungeons can be further classified into Classic Dungeons and Randomized Dungeons.
Classic Dungeons have fixed locations on the map and are designed for various size groups:
- Solo Dungeons are designed for 1-2 players.
- Group Dungeons are designed for 3-5 players.
- Raid Dungeons are designed for 6+ players
- Open World Dungeons.
Randomized Dungeons have fixed and mobile spawning locations and are primarily designed for groups of 3-5 players. Randomized Dungeons can be found in the open world or summoned in the open world using dungeon maps. The dungeon maps can be flat or enchanted and can be dropped by mobs.