There are four types of Hellgates in the World of Albion Online:
- 2v2 Ashen Hellgates - found in Blue zones
- 5v5 Lesser Hellgates - found in Yellow zones
- 2v2 Greater Hellgates - found in odd tier Red and Black zones (T3, T5, T7)
- 5v5 Greater Hellgates - found in even tier Red and Black zones (T4, T6, T8)
Inside of these portals, players will find many small demons, demon bosses, and another team of players to fight.
- Ashen Hellgates (found in Blue zones) - knock down, lose 10% of all item durability and respawn at the portal mob. Loss in durability of items turns into silver drop other players might take.
- Lesser and Greater Hellgates (found in Yellow, Red and Black zones) - upon death player will drop inventory except for currency.
Item Power Caps
- Ashen and Lesser Hellgates found in the Blue and Yellow Zones have an IP cap of 700 and an 80% penalty above the cap.
- Greater Hellgates found in the Black and Red Zones have an IP cap of 1000 and a 50% penalty above the cap.
Example: A player with 1300 ip goes into a 5v5 BZ hellgate. Their ip gets reduced to 1000 + (0.5 * 300) = 1150 IP.
Hellgates are a unique feature in Albion because they are focused on both PvE and PvP at the same time, players are essentially competing over a dungeon and may use the mobs and bosses to their advantage to win the fight against the other team. Hellgates offer fantastic rewards but are also very high risk, the best pvpers in Albion are attracted to Hellgates because of the fantastic combat fame and loot. Many 5 man GvG teams also use 5v5 Hellgates to practice for GvGs.
- Hellgate mobs (including the Guardian mob) will explode on death, dealing significant damage to all players that remain near them.
- After the boss (5v5) or chest (2v2) spawns, a portal will also spawn that players may leave out of after a short channel.
- Players may also leave via the portal they entered through at any time.
- Once a player enters a Hellgate, they will recieve a buff to their damage and defence that lasts for x minutes.
- The 2v2 Hellgates are accessible by up to 2 players. When a group kills the mob found near an orange Hellgate marker, it will spawn a portal. 2 members form the group that dealt the most damage to the mob may enter.
- The 2v2 Hellgate will have 3 potential entrances, 3 minibosses, and a loot chest. Once all of the minibosses have been slain, all players present in the Hellgate will get a notification that the central chest will spawn in 2 minutes.
- The 5v5 Hellgates are accessible by up to 5 players. When a group kills the mob found by a red Hellgate marker, it will spawn a portal. 5 members from the group that dealt the most damage to the mob may enter.
- The 5v5 Hellgate maps have 5 potential entrances, 5 minibosses and a central boss. Once all of the minibosses have been slain, all players present in the Hellgate will get a notification that the boss will spawn in the center in 2 minutes.
Only 2 teams may enter a single Hellgate and the portals will be located in different maps. Hellgates have a very high chance of PvP and are unique in Albion because they are the only activity that is both pvp and pve oriented. The final bosses in 5v5s and chests in 2v2s drop Black Market loot. The team that survives will not only get the loot from the boss, but will also the gear of the opposing team.
Starting with Oberon Patch 5 and  all Hellgate Guardian mobs remain in place for 30 minutes before despawning or until a player or group of players kill it to spawn the entrance portal. Hellgate Guardian mobs have fixed locations on the maps.